[isf-wifidog] Project based on WiFiDog

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mar 24 Avr 23:57:08 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 24 April 2007, Chris Rowson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just sending this email to the list to tell you of my intention to use
> the WiFiDog Auth Server code as a base for an Auth Server for managing
> community networks centrally.
>
> The project will be called Community Wireless Manager (CWM).
>
> The idea came from my requirements for captive portal server software
> for a library and further, for authenticated (with ID) public internet
> access to free wireless internet for the general public from a local
> government organisation.
>
> CWM aims to prevent users registering on the network themselves,
> allowing an 'administrator' to create users at request. It'll also
> (eventually - hopefully!) include features for user management
> including banning by MAC and bandwidth/session limitation.
>
> For me, the most sensible route seemed to be to start with what the
> Dev team here had created and work backwards removing features like
> registration and CMS. We hope to use the gateway code as it is (if it
> aint broke, why fix it!)
>
> Hopefully anything new that we work into the code will also come in
> useful for the WiFiDog project if you want to use it.
>
> Project development takes place here: https://launchpad.net/cwm
>
> Any suggestions, comments. volunteers etc etc will be greatfully accepted.

We do want to use it, and you can get everything you want while modifying less
than 5% of the wifidog codebase.  There is no need for a separate project,
which will cause a lot more work for everyone.

The auth server is a server side application with a current potential market
of maybe 2000 users (users being entities that would install the software),
and maybe 50 current users total.  It was built by that community.  If
everytime someone want a minor modification they start a fork, the entire
project will eventually die.

Should you run into irreconciliable differences with the rest of the
community, you can always fork, but by all means at least try to stay within
the main development community.  So far it seems all you need are very, very
minor accomodations in the architecture.

Where wifidog is now and goes in the near term is heavily influenced by the
immediate needs of it's developers.  If you commit coding resources, you will
be just as influential in it's near-term direction.  Despite my recent
sawtooth availability, I am more than willing to spend a few hours helping
you get the hooks you need and integrate your code in the mainline.

A lively community is in everyone's interest.
--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.