[isf-wifidog] Project based on WiFiDog

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Mar 24 Avr 16:11:35 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

Just sending this email to the list to tell you of my intention to use
the WiFiDog Auth Server code as a base for an Auth Server for managing
community networks centrally.

The project will be called Community Wireless Manager (CWM).

The idea came from my requirements for captive portal server software
for a library and further, for authenticated (with ID) public internet
access to free wireless internet for the general public from a local
government organisation.

CWM aims to prevent users registering on the network themselves,
allowing an 'administrator' to create users at request. It'll also
(eventually - hopefully!) include features for user management
including banning by MAC and bandwidth/session limitation.

For me, the most sensible route seemed to be to start with what the
Dev team here had created and work backwards removing features like
registration and CMS. We hope to use the gateway code as it is (if it
aint broke, why fix it!)

Hopefully anything new that we work into the code will also come in
useful for the WiFiDog project if you want to use it.

Project development takes place here: https://launchpad.net/cwm

Any suggestions, comments. volunteers etc etc will be greatfully accepted.

Thanks

Chris