[isf-wifidog] Re: [isf-vol] Fwd: [wirelesstoronto-discuss] new cheaper router

Gabe Sawhney gabe at pwd.ca
Mer 6 Sep 12:13:54 EDT 2006

Hi Alexis --
I don't know much about the guts of these boxes, but I think the key
is that they use the same chipset.  Practically, this means that from
a software perspective, they're identical -- only the box is
different.  I followed the exact same instructions for setting up the
router as I use for the WRT54GL, with these exceptions:
- if you want to install OpenWRT using the default Motorola firmware,
you have to use the WR850G-specific OpenWRT image (it's the same
binary, it just has a different header, so that it passes the Motorola
firmware validation or whatever)
- the WR850G defaults to the LAN IP 192.168.10.1, and it's easier to
change that (assuming you want to!) using the Motorola firmware than
doing it after the fact, 'cause there are some leftover nvram settings
that can confuse dnsmasq later

No recompilation or anything is necessary.

>From my perspective, the availability of this router is a relief.  We
insist that our venues purchase the router, so this gives them (those
that don't need to cover a large area) a budget option.  There have
also been times when WRT54GL routers haven't been available -- I can't
speak for the long-term availability of the Motorolas, but it makes me
feel better knowing that we now have two options.

Gabe