[isf-wifidog] ABout SPAM on the TRAC

Benoit Gregoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Lun 23 Oct 12:10:41 EDT 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 06:22, michel memeteau wrote:
> We have talked about it before , But I really think that modifications on
> the Wiki should be only possible if you are a registered user , Because
> Spam comes back regularly ...
>
> Just add a link for Wiki registration , with a link to validate in an email
> , opening tickets is mostly for techies so it should not ba a problem  ?

Unfortunately, that's not really a solution.  Most older products implemented
this solution, but it has two problems:
1- People will often not send a bug report, especially if they have to wait
for email registration.  Even on our trac, many (legitimeate) comments and
wiki edit are still done annonymous.
2- The spammers can, and do update their robots to to register accounts.

Capchas are better, but some spammer just open a porn site where people have
to answer the capcha from a tracker or wiki to access.  THe spammer can then
edit as many pages as he wants.

We'll see how well the anti-spam works.