[isf-wifidog] ppolicy questions/firewalling etc.

Mina Naguib mina at naguib.ca
Lun 13 Nov 12:05:45 EST 2006

My recommendation is what you're suggesting.  It's not worth fighting
with RBL admins to get your block unlisted after it makes its way
there due to one spammer.  So block SMTP and ask your users to use
webmail.

Alternatively if you want to be extra nice, allow SMTP (possibly with
transparent redirection) to your own SMTP server which would enforce
throttling to a very low number of messages per minute.

Aside from SMTP, and depending on your plan with your ISP, you may
want to limit or block bandwidth-hogging applications.  This can be
done superficially with port rules or truly with layer-7 filtering on
many recent routers/firmwares.