[isf-wifidog] Thoughts on implementing an ORM in WifiDog

François Proulx fproulx at edito.qc.ca
Lun 22 Mai 09:13:56 EDT 2006

I really think that in order to provide a scalable and lightweight
solution, we will absolutely need to implement a good open source ORM
solution in Wifidog (realistically I think we'll start doing it after
v1.0, since it's a very critical change in the core).

Why ? Simply because if you analyze the flow on many pages (take
hotspot_status.php for example) we generate dozens of SQL queries
each time, not mentionning that we could as of now use persistent
connections to postgresql... (i think I'll investigate it today).
Simply to display the hotspot status there will be a ton of exactly
identical queries (like node->getNetwork() ) . Since we do not have
any cache, these eat much resources. Also, managing the ORM is such a
pain in the ass now... There are a few very very good ORM solutions
for PHP5 now, almost as good as Hibernate (in the J2EE community).

Take these 2 examples :
   - Doctrine : http://www.phpdoctrine.com/
   - Propel : http://propel.phpdb.org/trac/

These are the most actively developped ORM solutions now.

Doctrine looks very interesting :
http://www.phpdoctrine.com/comparison.php

more food for thought...