[isf-wifidog] Dynamic DNS : The ultimate solution

Rein Petersen rein.petersen at gmail.com
Mer 8 Mar 13:05:19 EST 2006

Hey François,

That'll work for HTTP for sure - or whatever ports you have Apache answering
- it would definately let webcams be easily accessible remotely (with the
appropriate port-forward on the router). But other services (say PCAnywhere
or something like that) would still rely on DNS to map a domain name to an
ip address.

A further elaboration of Mina's idea to utilize your existing DDNS service
would be to implement a trigger on the table that captures the ip address of
the heartbeat and, on change, call a perl script that implements the
Net::DNS perl module :

http://search.cpan.org/~olaf/Net-DNS-0.57/lib/Net/DNS.pm

The Net::DNS library allows you to craft the appropriate DNS request to
add/update a dynamic host. Please excuse my linux ignorance, but I would
assume you'd want to spawn a new thread/process so your perl ddns-updating
script doesn't hold up the database update that caused the trigger while it
is updating a remote dns server - I know there is some complication with
multithreading and linux but I'm totally novice when it comes to linux.

Of course this is all just theoretical but, I'd be willing and interested in
writing the perl script that updates DDNS if the ISF folks thought it was a
worthy venture. Regardless, it's fun to talk about it.

Rein