[isf-wifidog] Dynamic DNS

Rein Petersen rein.petersen at gmail.com
Mer 8 Mar 08:41:08 EST 2006

Hi Max, Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin's idea of using a client to update an existing dynamic dns service
is probably the easiest. You could delegate a subdomain of
ilesansfil.org(how about "
venues.ilesansfil.org") to a remote dnydns service so your existing dns is
not affected, then have a trigger on the db that uses the client to update
the remote dyndns server on change of an ip address.

I had imagined something a little more elaborate - delegating a subdomain to
your auth server and running a perl sockets service that answers only host
lookups on port 53. Bothering with the entire BIND DNS spec would be
unecessary (don't need reverse or MX queries). DNS speaks binary on the wire
so it is still a little elaborate but not impossible (I've worked on a
resolver for a mail server called Lumisoft Mail).

I think Benjamin's plan may be easier to implement.

Rein

On 3/8/06, Benjamin Crulli <lostocean at gmail.com> wrote:

> These are the three dyndns GNU/Linux softwares i know about.
> ">updatedd</a>
>
> On 3/8/06, Max Horváth <max.horvath at maxspot.de> wrote:
> > This feature would be nice ... but I think we won't be able to do it by
> just
> > extending the auth server.
> >
> > In fact I still don't know which software exists for linux to provide a
> > DynDNS service :( ...
> >
> > Did you already do some research?
> >
> > Cheers, Max!
> >

> > Am 08.03.2006 um 05:11 schrieb Rein Petersen:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> >  Considering that Wifidog clients heartbeat frequently to the auth
> server, I
> > was wondering if anyone had considered rolling Dynamic DNS service into
> > Wifidog auth server.
> >
> >  Then you could resolve dynamic ip addresses to names like
> > boodhabar.ilesansfil.org
> >
> >  This might be helpful for venues that want to run their own services or
> > have a webcam installed.
> >
> >  Just a crazy idea but I think it would be cool.
> >
> >  Rein

> --
> Ben Crulli

Rein Petersen MCP MCP+I MCSE MCDBA MCAD