[isf-wifidog] Huge problems with Cisco VPN (IPsec)

Mina Naguib mina at naguib.ca
Dim 11 Juin 18:00:28 EDT 2006

I believe CISCO's client is an IPSEC implementation.  Last time I
played with IPSEC my blood pressure shot through the roof.

I'm in no position to preach to end-users and their employers about
the neatness of OpenVPN, so I won't even go there.

Simply put, IPSEC is not exactly typical-end-user-behind-a-NAT
friendly (standard rewriting problems where the protocol depends on
IP addresses coded inside the packet payload itself - remember how
active FTP broke behind NAT until the linux kernel became "ftp-aware"?)

In the official Linksys firmware there's an "IPSEC PassThrough"
checkbox that addresses this issue.  I'm not sure what the OpenWRT
equivalent would be.