[isf-wifidog] Support Tickets in Wifidog

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Jeu 26 Jan 18:33:24 EST 2006

On January 26, 2006 11:34 am, Rein Petersen wrote:
> I was wondering if the notion of Support Tickets has been discussed as a
> possible add-on for Wifidog Auth...
>
> something simple like:
>
> Node has 0..n Ticket
>
> Ticket has Status (enum)
> Ticket has Description (string)
> Ticket has Creator (user)
> Ticket has Assigned (user)
> Ticket has Notes (string)
>
> Of course you can get so much more elaborate but even just the simple
> solution helps your volunteers keep track of existing problems so that
> problems don't fall through the cracks.

It has been discussed, and would be very usefull.  In a perfect word, I would
like it to be losely coupled with wifidog by coupling with an existing
tracker trough a web service:
-It seems kind of a waste to invent yet another ticked tracker.
-It's the type of feature that can easely become bloated.

Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world, and I'm inclined to think
it's a good idea to build one, if it makes use as much as possible of
existing facilities (users, content types, heartbeating, emails, etc.)

Before we go into the specifics, it may be helpfull to ask ourselves a few
questions, before we under or over design:
-Can end users open a ticket (i suppose so)
-Can there be tickets that are tied to multiple nodes, or even the network in
general?
-Do we keep closed tickets, and if so, how do we access them?
-When the auth server detects that a node is down, should it automatically
open a ticket (there is already the concept of a tech support user(s) tied to
a node)

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/