[isf-wifidog] MySQL support - shouldn't we skip it?

Jay Smith jay.smith at tenanji.com
Dim 22 Jan 17:24:59 EST 2006

Max Horváth wrote:

> So, what say others?
>
> Shall we remove MySQL for now?
>
> Cheers, Max!
>
> Am 21.01.2006 um 07:37 schrieb François Proulx:
>
>> I'm OK, as long as you don't use highly specific non-SQL99 /  SQL2003
>> commands. Can anybody confirm that the new PHP PDO supports  BLOB
>> encapsulation for Postgresql ? And I don't mean BYTEA fields,  I'm
>> referring to OID-based BLOBs. We'd have to modify some SQL
>> generation logic for using PDO's prepared statements, but that
>> should be trivial in most cases, althought since its critical and  it
>> has to be done carefully ...
>>
>> I'm all for not taking care of MySQL too much, but with MySQL 5.0
>> plenty of things have changed ... it will be more and more trivial
>> to support it I guess. For 1.0, let's forget it. But moving to PHP
>> PDO is always a good thing, if only for preventing SQL Injection
>> with prepared statements. I haven't analyzed all our code , but  just
>> escaped strings might not be enough... ie. $user_id="0; DELETE  FROM
>> users" ....  "SELECT * FROM users WHERE user_id =  {$user_id};"
>> So, we might be vulnerable where we use integers  fields. PDO's
>> prepared statement take care of this by escaping semi- colons, adding
>> single quotes on integer fields etc...
>>
>> On 20-Jan-2006, at 19:35 , Max Horváth wrote:

I was actually hoping to see more support for mySql.  Most companies I
have worked with in the past 11 years have never heard of postgres but
most of them already have a few mySql databases around and are more
familiar with them.  I would love to see and would help work toward
using the php ADODB or PDO library so that many database backends could
be supported out of the box.

I would be interested in hearing what functions Postgres has that would
make coding it for other db's difficult.  Education may be the answer
for me, since my working knowledge of postgres is low.

Thanks for listening,

Jay Smith