[isf-wifidog] Importing Users

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Mer 11 Jan 13:45:57 EST 2006

Hi again all, hope you're keeping well!

My collegue and I working on public library hotspots have been playing
with the wifidog auth server to try and get our user database of
library patrons into the wifidog database.

We have exported the user database to a 'nocat like' psswd file to
make it compatible with the importing capabilities of wifidog.  We did
a test run with a couple of hundred users, and found that wifidog
imported them properly.

Unfortunately the actual file (which contains only the MD5 encrypted
password and username of each user) runs to nearly 10 MB, and contains
tens of thousands of users..... Unfortunately wifidog doesn't seem to
like it much!

We've changed the option in the import nocat users php file which
limits the size of uploaded files, and also allocated more memory for
running scripts in the PHP.ini, we've increased timeout for script
completion, and increased the size of allowable uploaded files.  The
result of trying to upload the psswd file to wifidog however seems to
result in nothing happening at all.

The server will accept the incoming connection, sit around for a
couple of minutes then refresh to a blank page (where we should be
instead seeing a list of our imported users)

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience or could suggest
another way to do this (or even suggest what they think may be
happening!)

Thanks Again

Chris