[isf-wifidog] Newbie Server install questions

Mina Naguib mina at naguib.ca
Mar 3 Jan 18:59:10 EST 2006

Hi Ray

The protocol is one of those things that "just happened - just
worked" and is not well documented.

There are 2 primary calls that the client makes to the central server.
"/auth/" (authorizes a new login, overloaded to also mean re-check
existing connection, also update per-connection statistics)
"/ping/" (sends heartbeat to auth server to indicate it's still
alive. Carries extra info such as system load/uptime/freemem etc.)

The client stops re-directing web browsers to the central server once
that web browser has successfully authenticated.  This causes a
firewall rule to be inserted in iptables that lets the user's port 80
traffic get router properly instead of being re-directed to wifidog's
internal web server (and therefore a second-redirect to the wifidog
central server)

A high-level overview of the protocol's logic is here:
http://www.ilesansfil.org/tiki-browse_image.php?
galleryId=1&sort_mode=created_desc&desp=0&offset=0&imageId=2