[isf-wifidog] feedback

Michael Lenczner mlenczner at gmail.com
Mar 21 Fév 16:33:45 EST 2006

i always think this kind of feedback is interesting.  i know that the
poster isn't really well informed, but it's good to get an idea of
what other people see when they look at wifidog.

"routers are fun and scary.

OpenWRT was hard. so I uninstalled it. then i decided to install
Sputnik. Big mistake, for a while. See, Sputnick requires the use of a
Sputnik Account, which requires a membership. so, that was dead.
Thought I'd "bricked" the router. Then I figured out that if you
didn't plug it into an internet source it would allow you to visit the
Standard (but Sputnik-ified) Linksys firmware. So I updated it to eWRT
firmware. This didn't do much of what I wanted. So, I decided I'd
reload the standard Linksys firmware into the router. Well, when I
tried loading the firmware, it rejected it. Many times. "Upgrade are
failed." over and over again. By this time I was positive I'd bricked
the router. Well, I knew I could TFTP the firmware into the device,
but all attempts to do this failed. Until one time, around 10:00 when
it finally TFTP'd the firmware into the thing. It was back at the
normal Linksys firmware. yay.

This is when I promised myself not to junk around with the router
anymore. That lasted 24 hours. So I downloaded three new firmwares.
Once called DD-WRT, another called NeighborNode, and another called
WiFiDog. Well, WiFiDog required me to compile it on a linux machine.
Didn't have one. looked good though, didn't use it. poo.

then i tried Neighbornode. It looked eactly like linksys. then i
readlized it was based on the eWRT firmware I had so much trouble
with. I crossed my fingers and prayed it'd accept a flash to the
standard Linksys firmware. I was very happy that it did. Then I
flashed the router to the "generic-mini" version of DD-WRT. Looked
good. set up with that. Then flashed to the standard version. Then I
found it had NoCatSplash, the thing i'd been trying to use all along.
It actually worked. had some fun with that. Now, I'm trying to figure
out how to get the httpd webserver running to serve up mini webpages
on the LAN, wLAN, and WAN. Good luck to me!"

http://selyrblack.livejournal.com/53023.html