[isf-wifidog] Deleting users

Dana Spiegel dana at nycwireless.net
Mar 7 Fév 01:01:01 EST 2006

> Everything you're talking about has been designed that way ...
>
>> I cannot find a method to delete users, is there a way?
>
> No! And there won't be a way. Deleting a user would invalidate the
> statistics.
>
>> THERE MAY BE A BUG here.  If a user fails to reply to the signup
>> email, then their email
>> address cannot be used again (unless there is a way to delete the
>> user).  However, I can see
>> that it may be a feature to keep a user from getting 15 minutes
>> anytime they wanted.
>
> This is correct. If a user doesn't reply the validation mail, he's
> out of your network. To create a new account he needs another e-
> mail-address. After the third or fourth time of signing up and
> getting kicked out he'll validate his e-mail-address or he'll never
> use the network again. ;)

I assume you're kidding here, of course. We do need a way to let
people resend their registration. It would also be a good idea to
make the statistics table NOT foreign key dependent. That's one
common practice for reporting and statistics data modeling.

And yes, I know that this means that there might be some orphaned
statistics entries, but I've found it better to decouple live system
data from archival reporting data. If the user is still live, you can
always connect the records using the user_id, even if its not foreign
key dependent.

Dana Spiegel
Executive Director
NYCwireless