[isf-wifidog] Fwd: SeattleWireless Map (BETA!)

Rein Petersen rein.petersen at gmail.com
Ven 3 Fév 11:24:00 EST 2006

Hey Dana,

I was working on something similar. My first effort was to create a Geocoder
Proxy Webserivce w/ faceplate (so you can enter just an address and get the
lat/long ajax-style):

http://209.82.15.217/GeoProxy/

That address is my laptop and may be unavailable at times... It was written
in .NET but a PHP port is fairly easy I think.

I'd actually prefer to return JSON [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON] which
is easier for the client to consume and is lighter on the bandwidth... I may
add a parameter to indicate a preference for JSON instead of XML. I'll
probably use XSLT to transform XML > JSON but unfortunately I won't be able
to retain date and number types without referring to a schema (all the
fields will be strings or arrays of strings).

The reason for the proxy is that most web browsers have security issues when
using the XmlHttpRequest object to retrieve data from another domain (ie.
geocoder.ca or geocoder.us). Of course the server could do all that work but
it's more overhead for it and more hurry-up-and-wait for the clients...

Anyway, I'm working towards a similar goal for several projects so I'm doing
my best to create a platform that will make it easy to embed this
functionality into a page. I'll be using HTC's and XBL (there is a cool XBL
wrapper for IE's HTC - see http://dean.edwards.name/moz-behaviors/ )

Rein

On 2/2/06, Dana Spiegel <dana at nycwireless.net> wrote:

> This is a great map. perhaps we can work towards something like this in
> WifiDog? I especially like the live node search on the righthand side.
>
> Dana Spiegel
> Executive Director
> NYCwireless
> dana at NYCwireless.net