[isf-wifidog] How to Auth non-browser based devices

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mer 1 Fév 13:29:28 EST 2006

On February 1, 2006 11:23 am, Michael Lenczner wrote:
> Benoit - gotta disagree with you here.  I think this is your
> (admittedly acute) legal mind at work.  Consistency is not the highest
> goal.  Comprimise is very important (i know you know that).  And I
> know that you hate to look arbitrary - but it's not the worst
> sin,either.  It's what happens when you make comprimises.

Spoken from the man who talks about putting values in technolgy, I must say I
find that surprising.  In any case, I disagree, both personally and
professionaly.

Personally, I always act in a manner that is as consistent with the values I
defend if I possibly can.  If I can't, I explain why I can't so people do not
think I am a hypocryte.

Professionaly, I've seen first hand the consequences for an organisation of
acting in a way that is inconsistent with the values/policies it outlined.
Especially when the reasons stated for the exception are not the ones for
which it was made, or when no reasons are stated at all.  Either journalists,
competing organisations or people who just plain don't like you will
eventually jump at the chance to make those inconsistencies public.  They
know people usually put more value on an organisation's action than it's
stated policies, and I can't blame them.  It's often not fatal to a
commercial entity that operates to make money, but it can easely kill an
organisation relying of volunteers to push an agenda.

Making exceptions do not have to be inconsistent with policies.  When the
reasons for the compromise and it's consequence are made explicit upfront, or
even better when it is explained how the exception helps the ultimate goals
of the policy, all is good.  If not, it means that said policy wasn't
important to the organisation after all, or improperly justified and can be
ignored.

When the nature and cost of a single compromise isn't explained, the ripple
effects can often make you miss the goals of the original policy completely.
Even if it doesn't, dealing with the problem upfront is most of the time far
less time consuming than doing it when it blows up in your face.

> "means the group deems all other services less worthy of
> convenience/consideration."
>
> That's not true.  If we whitelist a VOIP port, it's not because it is
> "more important" than Web.  It's just that, for the time being, that
> could be the best way to deal with it.  it all depends on the
> situation (type of user, what kind of service someone's trying to
> offer, etc).

If we whitelist a VOIP port to any destination, it means that we consider that
showing some sort of credential for using network resources is no longuer
mandatory in all circumstances.  That's a fact, so the question becomes what
are the circumstances wothy of an exception.

So why is VOIP on embeeded devices (likely used by less than 1% of our
userbase), worthy of this consideration, while email over pop or imap (likely
used by a good 20% of our userbase) isn't?

The only real reason I can see is that many wifi phones cannot open a web
browser at all.  Obviously that's not our fault.  If it is reason enough to
warrant opening the ports, why shouldn't it be allowed for every devices in
that same situation (Nintendo DS, WiFi wecams, WiFi cameras (for uploading
your pictures), etc)?

If so, what happens once a device needs to use port 80, we go back to all open
hotspots?  Off course it will work technically, but it will destroy ISF in
the process.

This is not just being devil's advocate, MDCNs sensors communicate over http
but do not have a browser (or an UI of any kind for that matter).  Lucky for
us they communicate with a single server.  I boatload of devices communicate
over http using web services, and there will be more in the future.

Making an exception "just because it's convenient for 0.3% of our users" and
not considering the long term consequence on our policies and hoping that
people won't exploit it is not pragmatism, it's magical tought.

I'm not saying ISF shouldn't do it, I'm saying that we should think long and
hard if we want to do it that way, and most importantly WHY.
--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.

--