[isf-wifidog] How to Auth non-browser based devices

Michael Lenczner mlenczner at gmail.com
Mer 1 Fév 10:52:56 EST 2006

i'll respond to some of these

On 2/1/06, Dana Spiegel <dana at nycwireless.net> wrote:
> Some comments:
>
> 1) this is likely to be an involved and confusing process for most normal
> people, since they'll look at you and say "I want to get phone access, and I
> don't own a Mac". Asking for people to enter in their MAC address is like
> asking them to enter the serial number for the engine block in their car.

amen!  it's nice to have someone fighting for stupid users.  Even our
regular sign-up process is very difficult for many people.

> 2) Great idea, though if we could enter the server whitelist via DNS names,
> and have the wifidog auth update the IP automatically, that would be even
> better
>
> 3) Even better idea. If someone is going to be smart enough to tunnel
> traffic like this, then its likely that they're smart enough to spoof a mac
> address or do something else to get around any security. Plus I don't think
> there's a significant risk for this, and our goal should be to make the
> hotspot as easy to use as possible. This is the only way that people can
> just pull out their VOIP phone and use it without a problem.

true!  we don't need to worry about the 0.001% of people that will
tunnel traffic.  give them up.

> 4) I don't think this will work for VOIP phones, who can't even click
> through the splash page. Unless I'm missing something.

I think he was saying leave all ports open - but the first time
someone uses port 80 to redirect them to a splash screen.  This solves
the question of showing local content and displaying a disclaimer or
AUP.