[isf-wifidog] Picking an AJAX library for wifidog

François Proulx fproulx at edito.qc.ca
Lun 24 Avr 19:39:15 EDT 2006

huh ? script.aculo.us in itself provides some cool special effects
and some advanced Web UI elements that we might consider, but I doubt
Wifidog really needs that, maybe as a bonus, but Benoit is asking for
an AJAX framework.

Ideally I would suggest something that is based upon Prototype
(script.aculo.us already uses it), since it's the most active, most
complete, cross browser and efficient library out there, but there it
only provides the client side part. There are a few good framework
out there, but they are solid state and cannot be used sporadically
(Symfony for example is a PHP clone of Ruby on Rails and Zephyr is
very similar).

This page lists the PHP frameworks for script.aculo.us
http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/IntegrationWithPHP

So there is no out-of-the-box solution for Wifidog, we will probably
have to code our own server-side responder, but let's make it very
flexible and scalable by abstracting in classes the parsing logic. So
one entry point with a few parameters to load the appropriate
responding class...

http://prototype.conio.net/
Documentation : http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/Prototype
Prototype dissected : http://www.snook.ca/archives/prototype1280.png

The biggest advantage of using Prototype is the richness of its
client side libraries and it abstracts all common crossbrowser
problematic calls by choosing the appropriate equivalent. Prototype
also enables us to use the Event-Selector library for managing very
cleanly Javascript events (click, drag, timer etc... on html
elements) using a clever CSS-selectors based system.

http://www.encytemedia.com/event-selectors/