[isf-wifidog] Some new features

Philippe April isf_lists at philippeapril.com
Sam 24 Sep 02:03:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

I just committed some new/old features to CVS, we'll test more and
deploy them in the next version of WiFiDog (I hope!).

*1. I added {Saul Albert,Jo Walsh,Schuyler}'s patch to send MAC
address as the node_id.

Mina: I saw your comment regarding "if we want it to be the new
default or not", I personally think so. Some folks use the 'default'
node for a long while and it ruins some of our stats on the prod
server :)

Not just that, I think a lot of people would actually pick to use the
MAC address as the node ID instead of creating IDs (which are random)
anyway.

Everybody: let's see what you guys have to say. I personally don't
mind either ways, but the default is now the mac address (if
nothing's specified in the config) and the config's node_id has been
commented. We can revert anytime, we'd just need to add a new flag in
the config, something like "UseMACAsNodeID".

*2. I added new code and rules to allow people to specify trusted MAC
addresses.
It's an old request, which is handy. Of course it could be done by
the authentication server. I think it's nice to be able to do it on
the WiFidog gateway since some people would actually run it with a
light auth server (or none!).

*3. Some new features are coming, including Mina's cool:
     1. Update
     2. Restart
     3. "Look Ma! No downtime!"
     ... modifications.

See changelog below.. Have a good night!

ChangeLog:
2005-09-24 Philippe April <philippe at ilesansfil.org>
     * (finally) Added {Saul Albert,Jo Walsh,Schuyler}'s patch (thank
you!) to send
     the GW interface's mac address as the node_id if no node_id is
specified. It allows
     the use of generic configuration files without the need to
hardcode the
     node_id in.
     * Added TrustedMACList configuration variable which allows
specifying
     MAC addresses which are allowed to go through without
authentication.
     * Updated OpenWrt instructions.

Philippe April
GnuPG http://key.philippeapril.com