Re: [isf-wifidog] Problème firewalling WRT54G

Philippe April isf_lists at philippeapril.com
Dim 18 Sep 01:59:03 EDT 2005

I'll run some good tests, because we've been having this problem
lately, and: it sucks.

The light tests I have done:

1. Disabling wifidog (chmod 0000 /etc/init.d/S65wifidog) doesn't
help, when I boot I can not get DHCP, can't connect to router,
nothing, nada.
2. It seems it's related to a configuration where we split LAN and WIFI.
3. If I disable the /etc/init.d/S45firewall script and boot, it boots
well. If I start it by hand, it installs the rules fine. Start
wifidog after, no problem.

Now, is it because wifidog installs some extra iptables modules and a
bug is there?
Or.. maybe... whiterussian would just not run well anyway and wifidog
has nothing to do with it? If wifidog is disabled, I have a hard time
seeing what could be causing a problem.

Something else I would like to add (quite important!):

when you start wifidog, it takes a little while to install the
firewall rules and it forked already when it does it.

That being said, if you have S41wifidog, it might be adding rules
CONCURRENTLY with /etc/init.d/S45firewall ! (could be dangerous). So
it's best to have it start after anyway. No it's not a clean fix to
start it before (even if maybe it works) and should be avoided, we
need to find the source of the problem.

I'll investigate (tomorrow if I have time) what's going on with this.
I'll try it on my router (if I still have it) on which I have serial
console.

Philippe April
GnuPG http://key.philippeapril.com