[isf-wifidog] WiFiDog without Auth Server?

Pascal Leclerc isf at plec.ca
Jeu 8 Sep 16:34:40 EDT 2005

> On September 8, 2005 03:22 pm, Dan Holton wrote:
>> I've been tasked with setting up free wireless access for a park
>> across from my office building.
>>
>> Since it's free, I don't want users to have to log in.
>>
>> I have to quickly get it set up so that users open their browsers, are
>> redirected to a landing page, and
>>
>> then can browse (port 80 and 443 only) freely.
>>
>> 1)       Can I not use an auth server, and just have WiFiDog (loaded
>> on a WRT54G) serve a page (or redirect to a website) without requiring
>> any kind of login?
>>
>> 4)       Is there a way for me to get any usage info (just # of users)
>> with this setup?
>
> You cannot use the client without a auth server.  However, the CVS
> version of  the auth server does support what you want (not having
> anyone login, and  redirecting to a custom URL instead of the node
> specific portal.
>
> You still have full statistics in this mode, but based of MAC adress.
>
> I would however wait a week or so before using the auth server from CVS,
> it's  undergoing massive changes, and the install script is partially
> broken.
>
> I'll let someone else answer questions 2 and 3.
> --
> Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/

Like Benoit said, Wifidog need a auth-server to work. An idea is to create
a auth-server-like in shell script (a CGI running on the router web
server). The user will see the splash page, acknowledge it and surf the
net. For this king of splash page only implementation, you can take a look
at auth-server-lite in CVS for some information :

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/wifidog/wifidog-auth-lite/

It implement basic auth-server features, but it might not work because
it's no more maintained. Also, I don't know the number of users (the load)
a WRT54G can support with this solution, but it can work.

  Pascal