[isf-wifidog] WRT54G v5? What are people moving to?

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Lun 31 Oct 22:35:38 EST 2005

Obviously this is a MAJOR inconvenience, but it's not time to panic yet.
Openwrt (and Sveasoft even tough I hate to admit it) have created enough
demand that companies will respond to it if it becomes a truely
distinguishing factor.  It may not be Cisco however.  While there are rumors
that the WRT54GL will be released, it may actually be a smart business move
for Cisco to halt production.  Remember they sell 1000$+ access points with
less features than a WRT54G with OpenWrt.  The last thing they want is to
legitimise Openwrt untill they really, really can't milk the high end market
anymore.

For those who still can't breathe easy, look at the Openwrt compatibility
matrix:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

There are 34 supported revisions of various models, There are 43 untested
other revisions that may or may not work, plus the AR7 port in progress that
would allow Openwrt to work on non Broadcom hardware.

We have work to do to adapt, but it not the end of cheap consumer hardware for
our community projects.  Not even close, especially for those who can order
them by the dozens.
--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/