[isf-wifidog] Radius Accounting & Windows Firmware Installer (Sagar)

Max Horváth max.horvath at maxspot.de
Jeu 27 Oct 23:02:42 EDT 2005

Well, on one of my workstations I still run a recent version of
Windows XP SP2 just to keep in contact with good old Redmond ...

I'd also make such an installer as been programming a lot
applications / plugins using Visual Studio C ++ and generating
installers for those things (some of them quite advanced).

But I don't get it why we should be doing this. I mean, providing an
installer instead or in addition to a OpenWrt image file including
WiFiDog wouldn't be anything else but another way of distributing
this image file.It would be just an additional work for the
developers without much help to the users who would like to install
WiFiDog on a router. This installer wouldn't do anything else but to
install the image onto a router capable of running OpenWrt. But this
installer would be limited to Windows users only.

If a user downloads a OpenWrt image all he has to do is to start up
his browser, enter the routers administration interface and upload
the new firmware. What's so complicated about it? What would be the
advantage of the installer? I mean: what would be easier for the user?

Also this installer would be a mess, cause the installer actually
would have to detect on which type of router the user would like to
install the image onto. By providing all the images being generated
by the OpenWrt make script the user can choose the right version. But
the installer could brick the router when failing to correctly
identify the router.

But as I said: what exactly would be easier for the user when we
would offer such an installer?

Cheers, Max!

Max Horváth
Chief Technology Officer