[isf-wifidog] Fwd: [wsfii-dev] Re: CUWiN follow-up...

Michael Lenczner mlenczner at gmail.com
Dim 23 Oct 13:50:33 EDT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sascha Meinrath <sascha at ucimc.org>
Date: Oct 23, 2005 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: [wsfii-dev] Re: CUWiN follow-up...
To: Saul Albert <saul at twenteenthcentury.com>
Cc: CUWiN Development <cu-wireless-dev at cuwireless.net>, Paul Smith
<paul at cnt.org>, Dana Spiegel <dana at sociabledesign.com>, Buildign
next-generation free information infrastructures
<wsfii-dev at lists.okfn.org>, Schuyler Erle <schuyler at nocat.net>, Bill
Comisky <bcomisky at pobox.com>

Saul Albert wrote:
> Hi David
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 01:52:46PM -0500, David Young wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:29:17AM -0500, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
>>
>>>speaking of APIs, have folks seen the CUWiN node config mockup:
>>>
>>>www.cuwireless.net/nodeconfig
>
> That's really pretty. Any chance of a CC lisence? It would be great to
> use something that shiny for Wireless London node configuration pages
> when they're ready.

Yes, I don't see any reason why the CUWiN Configurator GUI shouldn't be opened
and used by folks -- I'd imagine an attribution non-commercial share-alike would
work (see: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/).  I'm definitely
all for a CC license (I use this for all my stuff) and I don't anticipate that
being a problem; but I've cc-ed the -dev team in case their are any concerns
with this.

> We've not even started trying to encapsulate this much complexity in our
> node config yet.. the Freifunk Firmware interface is great - but this
> kind of step-thorugh for non-technical people is just what we need.
>
> We could clone one - but this is really nice. Would you mind?

Personally, I'd love to see folks standardize on a single interface (or at least
a base GUI that could then be added on to).  Ben's done a fantastic job of
taking our input and feedback and crafting an extremely clean and usable
interface.  I see no reason why we should keep building on what we've got, but
also would like to open up the discussion to get feedback from folks.  One thing
we've paid particular attention to is creating a _usable_ interface -- something
that non-geeks can access...  this means that we've forced ourselves to drop
some of cool potential features so that it is not overwhelming to the general
public.  I'd love to see other folks using this, adding to it, etc.

What does everyone think?

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President