[isf-wifidog] UI + usecase suggestions for Wifidog portal pages

Michael Lenczner mlenczner at gmail.com
Jeu 20 Oct 13:50:08 EDT 2005

one last thing.  sorry.

On 10/20/05, Michael Lenczner <mlenczner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/05, Benoit Grégoire <bock at step.polymtl.ca> wrote:
> > On October 20, 2005 12:47 pm, Michael Lenczner wrote:
> > > there's no way in hell either of those solutions would work
> > >
> > > *.subdomain.ilesansfil.org
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > *.otherdomain.org.
> > >
> > > No one would use it or remember it.
> >
> > Actually, that's not necessarily true in the second case,  and it would at
> > least allow some hand holding of the user if he mistypes, something we
> > couldn't do if butting it as *.ilesansfil.org.
>
> Okay - that we could discuss.  If someone can come up with a domain,
> i'm all ears.
>
> actually, maybe isfquartier.org?  but I still think it's not
> preferred.  already  we are asking people to remember ilesansfil.org.
> so this would just be another url to remember.
>

> > > Sometimes we have to do things in an ugly way, even if technically
> > > it's not perfect.  And manually creating a new subdomain each time
> > > can't be *that* difficult for each new hotspot.  Would it take more
> > > than 15 min?  Would that be worth it as an organization to have people
> > > checking out portal pages from home?
> >
> > Actually it is that difficult, how exactly do we call the first word in the
> > cafe's domain? It's only clear and unambiguous in a handfull of places, where
> > the name is a single, non-composed word.  What about   Mars Vénus,  Parc
> > Émilie-Gamelin, Resto-Pub 100 Génies,  Vices & Versa, Zeke's Gallery, or my
> > personal favorite Café l'Utopik (people in ISF would probably think
> > utopik.whatever, but most normal people call it café Utopik , l'Utopik or
> > Café Ludik).  Even if we made them all consistent and picked a convention for
> > discarding illegal caracters (&, -, accents), spaces and deciding what we do
> > with prepositions, how are users supposed to remember the convention?

I know that you're a programmer and you like conventions that can
apply to everything but I just want to make sure I'm getting my point
across.  I am not worried about the person who wants to know the
webpage of 5 hotspots that he's never visited.  I'm thinking of the
techy person that hangs out often at laika or at utopik and wants to
easy keep up to date on the latest flickr pictures.  or the latest
mp3's from quartier.

He doesn't need a convention.  He needs something catchy and easy to remember.

but we can discuss more later so I understant the opposition.