[isf-wifidog] UI + usecase suggestions for Wifidog portal pages

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Jeu 20 Oct 13:12:56 EDT 2005

On October 20, 2005 12:47 pm, Michael Lenczner wrote:
> there's no way in hell either of those solutions would work
>
> *.subdomain.ilesansfil.org
>
> or
>
> *.otherdomain.org.
>
> No one would use it or remember it.

Actually, that's not necessarily true in the second case,  and it would at
least allow some hand holding of the user if he mistypes, something we
couldn't do if butting it as *.ilesansfil.org.

> Sometimes we have to do things in an ugly way, even if technically
> it's not perfect.  And manually creating a new subdomain each time
> can't be *that* difficult for each new hotspot.  Would it take more
> than 15 min?  Would that be worth it as an organization to have people
> checking out portal pages from home?

Actually it is that difficult, how exactly do we call the first word in the
cafe's domain? It's only clear and unambiguous in a handfull of places, where
the name is a single, non-composed word.  What about   Mars Vénus,  Parc
Émilie-Gamelin, Resto-Pub 100 Génies,  Vices & Versa, Zeke's Gallery, or my
personal favorite Café l'Utopik (people in ISF would probably think
utopik.whatever, but most normal people call it café Utopik , l'Utopik or
Café Ludik).  Even if we made them all consistent and picked a convention for
discarding illegal caracters (&, -, accents), spaces and deciding what we do
with prepositions, how are users supposed to remember the convention?

I think using a list or a map, plus creating a single url that will always
redirect to the local portal when you are actually there (and to the list
when you are not) is much more user friendly for our users, and regulars can
always bookmark the result.
--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/