[isf-wifidog] Some stuff regarding translations

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mer 19 Oct 14:27:21 EDT 2005

On October 19, 2005 02:02 am, Max Horváth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is about some issues I came across while translating WiFiDog
> into german.
>
> First I talked to Francois and Benoit about changing some code in
> WiFiDog, because some sentences need to be rearranged for a
> reasonable order of words.

Go ahead, it will reduce the amount of work to maintain a translation even
when changing the order isn't needed.  It's a mistake we did early on of not
using sprintf everywhere, we are just now starting to catchnup.

I don't think it should be done in a separate branch.

> The next thing I'd like to discuss about is the use of the words
> HotSpot and node. I know that a HotSpot could(!) consist of more than
> one node. But I think we should decide to only use either the word
> HotSpot or node. Especially in german the translation of the word
> node sounds just terrible.
>
> I think there are going to be two types of wireless networks. Single
> nodes and a mesh network. In case it is a single node network I'd
> like to stick to the word HotSpot, because the common visitor of a
> HotSpot knows the meaning of it. Only in case of a mesh network the
> word node should be used.
>
> So, I hope this is going to be decided soon.

Ok, this had already been discussed.  A node isn'T a hotspot, in two very
common instances:

- A place is covered by several radios, like a park, or en entire building.
- A place is covered by the signal send by a node at an other place.

So vocabulary had to be cleaned up, and we came up with:
Venue:  A bounded physical place where radio coverage is available (a park, a
restaurant, a bar, a street corner, etc.)
Node:  A wifidog gateway, usually connected to a single radio.

These two things have very different attributes, and we ran into problems
trying to automatically generate lists of hotspots for mainstream hotspot
lists.

But a venue pretty much corresponds to joe sixpack's idea of a Hotspot (A
place  where I can get Internet access wirelessly), so we chose to call that
concept a Hotspot.

Now, as the architecture does not support this distinction yet, we have to use
some judgement as to where to use the word Hotspot for now, which is not very
often, and ONLY for end-user facing pages (Portal and login, almost nowhere
else).

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/