[isf-wifidog] Some stuff regarding translations

Max Horváth max.horvath at maxspot.de
Mer 19 Oct 12:40:30 EDT 2005

Dana Spiegel wrote:

> Max Horváth wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I'm glad for the responces.
>>
>>> I'd like to throw in my $0.02 on things like this. Certain words
>>> have a "proper" spelling, and especially for public facing pages,
>>> we need to use words that the general public will understand.
>>
>> Yes, this IS important for the final 1.0 release. AS I said, I'm
>> compiling a list of words that came across while translating WiFiDog.
>>
>>> 1) Hotspot is the accepted spelling, and it should only be
>>> capitalized when used in a title or used to start a sentence.
>>
>>> 2) People don't understand "node". I'm not talking about you and
>>> me, or even our friends. I'm talking about Joe and Jane Schmoe on
>>> the street. If they come across something having to do with Wi-
>>> Fi, they will really only understand the word "hotspot" or
>>> "hotzone" since they are what the press uses and what companies
>>> use. If you say "node" to them, they'll look at you funny.
>>
>> Well, here in Germany I see hotspot spelled HotSpot all the time
>> (so to speak of commercials).
>>
>> How is it like over in North America?
>>

> Generally, "Hotspot". T-mobile actually has a trademark on
> "HotSpot". This seems like a great thing to localize!

Okay - that good to know ... actually in Germany we almost have T-
Mobile hotspots only ... that's why I read HotSpot everywhere. So
I'll fix that in the german translation right away.

>>> 3) Wi-Fi should be spelled "Wi-Fi". It's a proper noun and an
>>> industry trade name. "wi-fi", "wifi" WiFi" and "Wifi" (though
>>> used like this in Wifidog) are improper spellings of the term.
>>> Wifidog is ok because its a product name and can be trademarked,
>>> but when we refer to the technology of Wi-Fi, we should do so
>>> with the right spelling and capitalization.
>>
>> That's right ... it's Wi-Fi. We should also take care that we
>> spell WiFiDog with 3 capital letters (but I didn't saw it written
>> different in the source).
>>

>> The best thing is that I'll be given an own branch in CVS for
>> translating WiFiDog and to clean up the spelling of some words
>> used in the english version. This is because I'll have to change
>> some code to use sprintf() due to rearranging sentences in german.
>>
>> Therefor I'd be very happy if someone from Ile Sans Fil or even
>> you, Dana, would assist me as soon as would have any questions or
>> for corrections.
>>
>> I compiled a fresh version of strings to be translated which could
>> also be analyzed regarding the english version.
>>

> This is great. I'm happy to help in this effort.

Thanks. I'll contact you, as soon, as I'll have access to CVS and
some stuff to discuss.

> Also, there's a plan to clean up the HTML so that it is in a set of
> (few) HTML templates. This is something that came out of WSFII a
> few weeks ago.

Yeah, I know ... I shouldn't have stayed in the mapping room ;) ...

> I believe that the best way to localize in this instance is to:
>
> 1) have all html be localized html pages (there is an apache
> standard for this)
> 2) have all strings emitted by WiFiDog be localized in a localized
> sprintf way with a localization file (I'm less sure how this works,
> but should be standard too).

I don't think it'll work this way. Right now almost every generated
page doesn't come from the Smarty template engine ... so we won't be
able to do a template with multiple languages.

The way Apache serves multi-language pages is like providing a
index.html, index.html.ca and index.html.de ... converting WiFiDog to
serve pages like that would be a needless work. I think the way
translating WiFiDog is quite okay. We just need to print a lot of
string via sprintf().

Regarding templates ... yeah - we should be using Smarty again to
provide an easy way to have custom templates.

But I think maybe that's another topic we (or I) shouldn't be
concentrating on.

So long, Max!

E-Mail: max.horvath at maxspot.de
Homepage: http://www.maxspot.de/