[isf-wifidog] WifiDog .. migration from Nocat

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Dim 16 Oct 18:06:44 EDT 2005

On October 16, 2005 05:47 pm, Alan Dawson wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I've been introduced to wifidog at the WSFII event in London recently.
>
> Are there any implementation docs, HowTO's, Whitepapers, or examples out
> there ?

NYC wireless started something, I can't find the link at the moment, you can
look at the archives.  We have various docs available on the old wiki, but
they sorely need updating.  (It's part of the 1.0 release effort).  However,
the installer should help your along.

> We have a small wireless network in the UK, http://bcan.burngreave.net,
> currently based on NYC's pebble linux.
>
> Many of the nodes are linked together using WDS links.  Nocat is used on
> the gateway hotspots without ( not all hotspots have a direct uplink to the
> internet but get external access across a WDS link ) without MAC address
> authentication ( ie with IgnoreMAC 1 ).

The WDS link should not adversely affect wifidog operations.  However, if you
want to keep the same setup, only the WRT that id connected to the uplink
should have the wifidog gateway running on it.

> The authentication is done against a flat file ( in
> /usr/local/nocat/etc/passwd)

Wifidog has an importer for that file.  However, I am not sure it's not been
trivially broken by recent changes in the code.  If you run into any trouble
importing your nocat passwd file, chip in on the list immediately.

> We're moving from pebble based AP's to the WRT54GS  ( its cheap and runs
> linux ).  To remove the need to have a seperate PC doing Nocat at gateways
> we'd like to run wifidog on them.  I presume it allows authenticated access
> ( and not just a splash like nocatsplash ?)

Yes it does, and a whole lot more ;)

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/