[isf-wifidog] WifiDog .. migration from Nocat

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Dim 16 Oct 17:47:47 EDT 2005

Hi..

I've been introduced to wifidog at the WSFII event in London recently.

Are there any implementation docs, HowTO's, Whitepapers, or examples out there ?

We have a small wireless network in the UK, http://bcan.burngreave.net,
currently based on NYC's pebble linux.

Many of the nodes are linked together using WDS links.  Nocat is used on the
gateway hotspots without ( not all hotspots have a direct uplink to the
internet but get external access across a WDS link ) without MAC address
authentication ( ie with IgnoreMAC 1 ).

The authentication is done against a flat file ( in
/usr/local/nocat/etc/passwd)

We're moving from pebble based AP's to the WRT54GS  ( its cheap and runs linux
).  To remove the need to have a seperate PC doing Nocat at gateways we'd like
to run wifidog on them.  I presume it allows authenticated access ( and not
just a splash like nocatsplash ?)

TIA
AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily