[isf-wifidog] If you want to know what's happening in terms of uses of content distribution / creation on free wireless - read this:

Ian White ian.white at datamile-computers.com
Jeu 13 Oct 11:25:10 EDT 2005

We are also looking along the same lines, but with a slightly more
business type look.

I've been trying to build a basic auth server in php4/mysql as thats
the typical webserver config.

Technical Issue
- If business use, should we be looking at synch mysql servers in case
of problems

- throttling. Pretty easy if you don't want a hundred rules etc. I
think most real business use with be 5 or so bands, with functionally
to automatically downgrade a user if they are hogging the network. i.e.
3 unbound limits, and then 2 bound limits for people abusing the
network.

- local contained olsr mesh. Restrict FFF to olsr mesh with only those
with same OLSR mesh ID. i.e. Large internet cafe has a gateway WRT54G,
with a repeater WRT54G, it will not mesh with any other OLSR devices.
wifi-dog will run on each WRT54G, and control access into the mesh

Business

1) wirelesslondon and ilesansfil have done alot on node sensative
portal pages which is idea. I've played with some CMS ideas of
different pages presenting to the user based on some schedule. i.e.
Sunday menu displays on Sundays.

2) Login groups

Each node has a home login group, but can also support guest logins
from other groups via login type drop down.

i.e. User can log into Node A, using login group 'Fred Internet Cafe'
to get access level 1, but they could also login using group 'Fred
Town' as an afflinate to get access level 3. This would require a
shared auth server, but should be fairly easy technically. The issue is
more a business process on revenue sharing, and usage logging to enable
that. i.e. group 'Fred Town' user uses 2 hours and 200 mb on Node A

3) Ticketting.

Lots of people like ticketting, or daily rotating password to force
people into their building to pick up the ticket/today's password.

Simplist system is today's Node access code is 1234, everyone logs on
using it for that day, but you capture no information

Rgds

Ian