[isf-wifidog] Newbie - Question

Mina Naguib mina at naguib.ca
Jeu 24 Nov 08:21:25 EST 2005

On 24-Nov-05, at 7:08 AM, David Touitou wrote:

> Bonjour à tous,
>
> je m'intéresse (comme beaucoup) à WiFiDog (pour tenter le coup du
> réseau urbain par ici) et je me pose une question assez bête :
>
> Est-il possible d'installer WifiDog sur un WRT54G(L) sous OpenWRT
> (jusqu'ici la réponse est oui) et d'ajouter des points d'accès
> branchés au switch intégré et de bénéficier des fonctionnalités
> WifiDog sur tout le réseau (liaison WiFi du routeur mais aussi des
> AP) ?
>
> The same question in English now 8)
> Is it possible to setup WifiDog on a WRT54G(L) with OpenWRT (I know
> this is possible 8)) and to connect additionnal access points to
> the router swith in order to have Wifidog working on the whole
> network (both with the router's wifi and the AP's wifi) ?

Hi David

Here's a little dirty secret:

WiFiDog does not require a WiFi connection.  It simply works on
"interfaces".  If you can get all your internal traffic coming in
through something that linux can present as an interface (ethernet,
wifi, bridge, tunnel, etc..), WiFiDog can control it.

So yes, you can have 1 WiFiDog installation with multiple child
routers that chain up to the main router running WiFiDog.  As long as
they're all presented at the main router as one interface, there's no
problem.

The only gotcha to this scenario is NAT.  WiFiDog distinguishes an
individual user by, among several things, their internal IP address.
If one of the child routers has NAT enabled, hence presenting to the
parent router all it's end-user's traffic as a single IP instead of
by their true unique IP addresses, WiFiDog will not work well in that
scenario.