[isf-wifidog] WRT54G v5? What are people moving to?

Joe Bowser bowserj at resist.ca
Mar 1 Nov 00:27:03 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 22:18 -0500, Philippe April wrote:
> I think it'd be cool if all the wifi groups could get together on
> that one and find a solution, as every group using WRT54G's will be
> impacted otherwise.
>
> I wish somebody somewhere has expertise on that and contacts.
>
> We can always go with Asus' or Netgear's and try to see if they work
> alright, but what if we end up with the same problem, or have problem
> buying them?
>
> What if they follow Cisco's path?
>
> I don't know if netgear followed Linksys' path at the beginning on
> that one, or if it's the opposite, but let's say Netgear followed..
> What if they go with vxworks too...?

Well, the thing is that Netgear already does go with VxWorks.  However,
there is hope after all...

First, here where someone grabs some JTAGS and a Serial Header and sees
what they can see:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Netgear/WGT624

This clearly shows the far more common (at least more common in
Vancouver) Netgear WGT624, and what you can do with it.  It seems they
got quite a ways.  One of the important differences with this device is
the big-endianess of it.  Also, the fact that the bootloader is pretty
much undocumented. :(

The boot loader is the key, once we know what the boot loader does, I
think it's possible to put Linux on it.

The most promising is what is coming out of Australia, which is
Minitar's new device.

http://www.minitar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1623&st=0

They're actually cool with people modifying it.  zivan56 is playing with
a similar device right now, which is cheaper and more common than dirt,
but is only able to write to the web directory, and not change any
permissions.  Apparently they're very common, but I'm still concerned
about the 2 MB of flash.

Hopefully that helps a bit.  I was kinda hoping that someone would know
of a project that I was missing.

--
Joe Bowser <bowserj at resist.ca>