[isf-wifidog] Printing for IleSansFil Users

Daniel Enright denright at atwaterlibrary.ca
Jeu 26 Mai 13:43:01 EDT 2005

Hi Guys,

Most people who print, put their documents onto a USB key and print from
one of the desktops.  This leaves a few problems, such as the fact that we
need to be able to read that particular type of document from their disk,
etc. So...

We have a beast of a printer (very dark soul fyi).  It talks Raw TCP
Print, LPD Print, IPP Print, FTP Print, Netware Print, etc.

One downside, due to the cost of printing, we do have to charge for it. To
help enforce this, on the desktops when print is selected it gets put into
a private queue on the printer so we can confirm the number of pages, etc
with the patron (they are listed by the Windy'ows computer name).

Anyway, before I embark on the project I thought I would send this message
for any thoughts y'all might have.

What would be nice... when IleSansFil users log in, they could see some
kind of box on the left of the portal page indicating the printer at their
location, perhaps a status of the printer, and idealy a one button connect
to it.

But before I start flexing my keyboard, your thoughts first... maybe you
don't want the portal pages to have something like that, maybe it already
exists, or maybe you think I am on crack.

Dan

--
ALCC