[isf-wifidog] IPs + SSIDs

Gabe Sawhney gabe at pwd.ca
Lun 16 Mai 20:30:24 EDT 2005

Ok, so I know this isn't Wifidog-specific, but it's something that you
guys will definitely have experience with:

We're preparing for a relatively big install next week -- 4 routers.
Reading the emails from Michael about his setup in Winnipeg, it sounds
like a similar (but smaller) situation.  There were two methods proposed:
a) the 'gateway' router is the only one with a connection on the WAN
port.  It is the only one with wifidog, and the only one assigning DHCP
addresses.  The other routers each have a static IP in the same block,
and act simply as bridges.
b) the 'gateway' router has the "real" net connection on its WAN port,
and all the others plug their WAN port in the the 'gateway' router's eth
ports.  Each of the bridge routers assign DHCP addresses in a seperate
IP block.

Which did you eventually do, Mike?

And which is the "better" solution?  I like the simplicity of the first
one; what are its drawbacks?  I should also be able to "chain" them,
right?  Like, rather than plugging them all into the gateway router, I
can plug them into each other?

Secondly, do I need to use unique SSIDs?  I would've thought that I
don't need to, but for some reason my OS X Powerbook only wants to see
one network called "wirelesstoronto" even if there are several routers
(each on a different channel) with that name.  One the one hand this is
fine -- it makes it easier for the user.  On the other hand, it makes it
more difficult for me to know which one I'm connecting to.  (I can see
them all in MacStumbler, and can which one I'm connected to by
cross-referencing the MAC address.)

Is there anything else in this setup that I should be aware of?  Thanks!

Gabe