[isf-wifidog] Re: Lot WiFiDog, Vol 4, Parution 14

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mer 11 Mai 18:35:13 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 05:13:38PM -0400, Dana Spiegel wrote:
> rather build something that addresses the need to have a single
> registration database, but share essential information in order to
> provide a service through another site.

Right now i have a YAGNI feeling about sharing user account
information between open networks, perhaps i haven't seen the light of
auth in full brights. My basic use cases run to such as:

- $network want to run their own nodedb+portal service, but they don't
  want to run mapserver; they POST, or the map service GETS, RSS feeds
  of recent updates annotated with that vocabulary.

- $meta_network want to aggregate node metadata from different
  networks in one place.

- $network may want to republish things about users in RDF - such as a
  connection to a flickr or evnt feeds - that other networks don't
  care about aggregating.

We have to have some way of talking about at least the basic
properties of nodes in RDF; that's why we wrote that vocabulary, which
i think of as more recipe ingredients than a schema.

I notice looking at http://map.wirelesslondon.info/recent/rss that i'm
not even using the dedicated wlan vocabulary there, to express things about
new nodes.

> utilze the Wi-Fi Thank You system? I can build a REST interface (with a
> far simpler schema than the WirelessOntology one), but XML-RPC is easier
> (I've built many XML-RPC services in the past) and you already require
> XML-RPC in the WifiDog server.

The idea seems to be that you leave a message in space, which is
somehow picked up by the node owner? And that you're looking for a way
for running this over a local portal service with wifidog, to try and
provide feedback between the message leaver and a way of connecting
the node owner to the message and a reason for them to collect it?

We have something related in wirelesslondon with this idea of
'nearbies' where users (of the web UI, but now looking at sharing its
auth db with the nocatsplash auth db, defacto how it behaves now on
http://auth.ilesansfil.org *i think*) can leave messages on the map
which show up on the node owner's homepage. Again the "why would they

I want to see this information washing around in the world, not just
visible through an RPC pinhole for people to queue up and peek at ;)

-jo

PS. sorry if this sudden influx of not-really-wifidog-related traffic is
disconcerting the list members and we will take it off to a broader
free information infrastructures list soon...