[isf-wifidog] Problem with validation process

Hayden Myers hayden at compaq.skyline.net
Mer 11 Mai 14:08:49 EDT 2005

> On 11-May-05, at 12:42 PM, Hayden Myers wrote:
>
> > First off, I'd like to say I think wifidog is the best open sourced
> > portal
> > application out there.  I've played with both chillispot and the nocat
> > stuff.  I'm running the latest experimental version of openwrt on a
> > Linksys wrtgs 1.1 router.  I'm using wifidog 1.1.  I've compiled both
> > from
> > source and everythign is working fine except for the validation
> > process.
> >
> > The behavior I'm seeing is as follows.  When signing up, I receive the
> > web
> > page telling me I have 15 minutes to check my email.  The email is sent
> > correctly, however I'm unable to check my mail.  I've read the entire
> > wididog.conf file, and it appears the WiFiDog_Validate rules are
> > correct.
> > Further inspection of the iptables firewall using the iptables command
> > shows the correct rules in the WiFiDog_Validate chain.  Further
> > inspection
> > of the firewall by examining the nat chain reveals something
> > interesting.
> > There is no rule to set a mark on the ip of the computer that has
> > signed
> > up in the WiFiDog_Outgoing chain.  There is also no rule in the
> > WiFiDog_Incoming chain.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, if I check my mail somewhere else, the validation
> > process can be completed and all functionality seems normal with
> > wifidog.
> > After logging the validated user in, I see the corresponding entries in
> > the WiFiDog_Incoming/Outgoing chains in the nat table.  To me, this
> > demonstrates that the mark facility is working.
> >
> > I've perused the mailing list, and unfortunately I seem to be the only
> > one
> > with this problem, or the only one who hasn't figured it out before
> > finding the mailing list.  I'm about to dig through the source code,
> > and
> > the terse debugging log I just generated.  I figured it wouldn't hurt
> > stop by the list and see if it was something simple I've overlooked.
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Hello Hayden
>
> We've had intermittent reports of this problem.
>
> Your description and details however are the most detailed problem log
> we've received so far (and for that, we thank you!)
>
> Another developer (Philippe) and myself tried replicating the problem
> without any success.
>
> We're also ruling out the possibility that this is a persistent WiFiDog
> bug, otherwise there would be no new user signups from our ~ 40
> deployed hotspots, which is not the case.
>
> One of our hotspots however seems to be the source of the complaints.
>
> I'll run with the info you just gave us and see what I can find.  If
> you discover any extra info please do share it :)
>
> Thank you very much for your very pleasant comments on this project.

I'm working on updating my authserver now.  It appears, the last time I
did that was back in april and much has changed since then.  It's probably
the correct order to make sure I have the most up to date software on both
the authserver and gateway,before digging through all of the code.  The
main question I have in regards to the validation is, the process by which
a user is given x minutes to go about their business and validate their
account.  How does the gateway know whether or not to remove the rule?

My debug log from the gateway didn't show any activity after the initial
request was sent off to the authserver login page.  To be more specific,
nothing showed up in the wifidog daemon's output when clicking on the
signup page.