[isf-wifidog] Problem with validation process

Hayden Myers hayden at compaq.skyline.net
Mer 11 Mai 12:42:59 EDT 2005

First off, I'd like to say I think wifidog is the best open sourced portal
application out there.  I've played with both chillispot and the nocat
stuff.  I'm running the latest experimental version of openwrt on a
Linksys wrtgs 1.1 router.  I'm using wifidog 1.1.  I've compiled both from
source and everythign is working fine except for the validation process.

The behavior I'm seeing is as follows.  When signing up, I receive the web
page telling me I have 15 minutes to check my email.  The email is sent
correctly, however I'm unable to check my mail.  I've read the entire
wididog.conf file, and it appears the WiFiDog_Validate rules are correct.
Further inspection of the iptables firewall using the iptables command
shows the correct rules in the WiFiDog_Validate chain.  Further inspection
of the firewall by examining the nat chain reveals something interesting.
There is no rule to set a mark on the ip of the computer that has signed
up in the WiFiDog_Outgoing chain.  There is also no rule in the
WiFiDog_Incoming chain.

Interestingly enough, if I check my mail somewhere else, the validation
process can be completed and all functionality seems normal with wifidog.
After logging the validated user in, I see the corresponding entries in
the WiFiDog_Incoming/Outgoing chains in the nat table.  To me, this
demonstrates that the mark facility is working.

I've perused the mailing list, and unfortunately I seem to be the only one
with this problem, or the only one who hasn't figured it out before
finding the mailing list.  I'm about to dig through the source code, and
the terse debugging log I just generated.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to
stop by the list and see if it was something simple I've overlooked.
Thanks in advance.

Hayden Myers