[isf-wifidog] Wifidog installation

Mina Naguib webmaster at topfx.com
Ven 25 Mar 19:14:15 EST 2005

Hi Bruno

You probably want to familiarize yourself with the OpenWRT configuration
 guide at:
http://openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Configuration

Also see individual notes below:

Bruno Remy wrote:
> Mina Naguib a écrit:
>
>> In this case you don't need the bridge at all.
>>
>> Use the nvram settings lan_* to configure your wired network (ignore
>> lan_ifnames - it's not needed unless lan_ifname=br0 which it won't be)
>>
> Thanks Mina for your answer. You probably assume that I'm still used to
> OpenWrt and Wifidog, wich is not the case...sorry. ;-)
> I only use it for 24 hours...and try to manage it with his own conf
> files and setting commands.
> So....can you exactly  tell me the way to change those nvram settings ,
> please ? Should I type in a command on the shell ? And what ?
> Otherwise, should I edit /etc/nvram.overrides ?

You use the "nvram" command line utility to read/write to the nvram
block on the router.

To get a sense of your existing settings for example, try this:

nvram show | grep ^lan_

Here's a summary of what mine says:
lan_ifname=br0
lan_ifnames=vlan2 eth2
lan_proto=dhcp

The OpenWRT code will inspect lan_* variables, wan_* variables and
wifi_* variables to bring up the various interfaces and networks.

In my case above, the LAN interface name is "br0" - when it sees that,
it sets up a bridge and bridges together the interfaces listed in
"lan_ifnames" - after that is uses DHCP to bring that bridge up since
the router is part of an existing network.

To do away with the bridge, assuming your LAN is vlan0, you'd issue this
command:

nvram set lan_ifname=vlan0

>> Then use the nvram settings wifi_* to configure your wireless network.
>>
> Same question as above : how do I change it ?

nvram set wifi_ifname=eth1
nvram set wifi_proto=static
nvram set wifi_ipaddr=192.168.202.1
nvram set wifi_netmask=255.255.255.0

>> Edit wifidog.conf to set the LAN interface to the same as what you set
>> wifi_ifname to
>>
> Can't do it without succeed in previous steps ....

Correct :)

Please note that the above is a personal preference.  Philippe for
example prefers to setup a second bridge and assign the correct
interfaces to lan_ifnames and wifi_ifnames.  It's a matter of personal
preference and the end result is, for the most part, the same.