[isf-wifidog] one-HUNDRED pounds

Joe Bowser bowserj at unbc.ca
Lun 21 Mar 21:15:52 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Pascal Leclerc wrote:

> I think people looking for the WL-500G must take a look a the WGT634U
> before buying anything.
>
> I did some comparaisons between the ASUS WL-500G and the Netgear WGT634U.
> And the winner is ... I'm waiting for my WGT634U today or tomorrow :-)
>
> The main reason is that WL-500G USB port is v1.1 and the WGT634U USB port
> is 2.0. Also, I had found that the WGT634U is more easy to find in store
> or by web reseller for aproximatly the same price (135 $ CAN).
>
> Others nice things about the WGT634U :
>  More flash and memory.
>  Supported linux wireless card (kernel 2.6 support underway)
>  Easy serial port access (nice for developpement)
>  Easy hacking with a debug mode with telnet access in original firmware
>
> I will create some informations pages for the WGT634U.
> More info to come shortly (few weeks)

The main advantage going for the WL-500G is that there is less hacking
involved with that device than the Netgear WGT634U, but here is some info
that you definitely would find helpful

http://www.openwrt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

and

http://wgt634u.nomis52.net/

Since it's based on LEAF, perhaps making an lrp for WiFiDog may be better.
I think I should get this router as well and hack it as well.  This seems
fairly promising. :)

Joe Bowser - bowserj at unbc.ca