[isf-wifidog] OpenWRT on WRT54G V2.2

Joe Bowser bowserj at unbc.ca
Dim 20 Mar 23:07:18 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Jamie Ray wrote:

> Just getting started with WiFiDog...reading all the documentation to
> install it.
> I notice some issues of trying to get OpenWRT on ver 2.2 of the WRT54G,
> are you people mainly using Ver 2 of these, or are you making it work on
> 2.2's?
>
> I've gone through the forums at Openwrt.org, and am now a bit sceptical of
> this version? Anyone got any hints or recomendations?
> The main issue seems being able to use the correct Linksys firmware
> version that uses the ping.asp bug to enable boot_wait.
> 2.2 has the bug fixed, and I'm not able to enable boot_wait this way anymore.

Actually, I just re-imaged a 2.2 the other day and I didn't notice the
boot_wait bug fixed at all.  You could just downgrade the firmware to
Linksys's official 3.37.2 to use the old boot_wait exactly as you said.
Official Firmware is guaranteed, so if you were downgrading and bricked
it, you are still under your warantee.

Of course, you shouldn't need the boot_wait.  If the flash is corrupt, it
will still accept firmware sent by TFTP.  It's if your firmware has
features disabled (i.e. WiFi and Switch) that you'd need to short pins and
do other nasty things.

As for the firmware itself working, I posted a patch here a while ago that
took some other people's changes.  I also compiled CVS against the
modified buildroot to ensure that WiFiDog would work with the iptables on
the modified kernel.

I also built a WiFiDog against the experimental build, but I never tested
it yet.  Got busy with other stuff.

Again, if you want to get the files, feel free to go to:

http://www.infil00p.org/openwrt/snapshots/v2.2/

Hopefully that helps you out.

Joe Bowser - bowserj at unbc.ca