[isf-wifidog] Possible problem with Laika

Michael Lenczner michaellenczner at yahoo.ca
Mar 8 Mar 11:55:57 EST 2005

--- Benoit Grégoire <bock at step.polymtl.ca> wrote:
> On Monday 07 March 2005 10:59, Michael Lenczner
> wrote:
> > 1) we need to let people know that the
> verification
> > email can often be found in their junk mail.
>
> Unless they have their filter set to only consider
> everything but whitelisted
> addresses as junk, I only see one reason why this
> would happen, and it's
> because the mail comes from a DSL IP pool.  Even so,
> they's have to have a
> really badly configured mail server.

Well, that's nice, but when i've sat with 15+ users to
sign up, I've seen that it often gets put in "junk
mail" by yahoo and by hotmail.

So, it's probably not a question of whitelisted (which
no one does) or the IP address.  More likely it's the
content that gets flagged.

> > 2) I think it might be useful to revisit why we
> have
> > this system in the first place  - specifically,
> I'm
> > wondering whether we should give someone 24 hours
> > access before we lock them out?
>
> In practice, that would mean people just wouldn't
> bother creating real
> accounts anymore, and they could get unlimited
> internet as often as they
> like.

I understand that you think that, but I'm not sure if
it's true or if the reasons we have to think so are
convincing (it is a pain to create a new account each
time - that might be deterent enough (sp?)).  A better
reason (IMHO) not to not allow 1 day access is that
people might create a couple of accounts at the
beginning before they just decide to stick with one -
and that would artificially inflate our user stats.

But it's probably something to investigate because in
the sign-up's that I've witnessed, it's been very
problematic.

mike