[isf-wifidog] Possible problem with Laika

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Lun 7 Mar 01:15:39 EST 2005

On Sunday 06 March 2005 22:55, Philippe April wrote:
> It's not complicated but still a little hack.
>
> Session cookie, or passing variables in URL.
>
> Now, let's imagine a scenario where the user gets forwarded to the
> login page (with the gw_address and all in the URL), clicks 'here' to
> create an account.
>
> I can either pass the address + port through that URL (GET), or put it
> in a session cookie.
>
> If the user doesn't have cookies enabled, it won't work (ok, I think
> it's required anyway for the whole thing to work).
>
> If the user signs-up at ilesansfil.org.
>
> He can be at a hotspot, or not.
>
> If he's not, then he should be given a 'We're sending you a validation
> email, please validate then go to any ISF hotspot, thank you.
>
> If he is but went though ilesansfil.org (the user is smart, he saw
> www.ilesansfil.org as the SSID, so thought it'd be good to go there),
> we should detect that he's from the IP x, therefore this hotspot.
>
> Only thing (DB change), we'd need to store the gw_port in the BD with
> the address (we do that already). It should be pushed by WiFiDog,
> perhaps in the ping_thread.c.
>
> I think I'd go for session cookie to pass the variables since I tend to
> try to avoid parameters passed in GET method, it's not very pretty.
>
> What do you think?

I think you're right that we should use server side session.  But I think you
are over-complicating things for the logic.  No need to figure out which ip
and all.  Just remember the token in the session.  If it is set, you know
he's at a hotspot. If not, he isn't.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/