[isf-wifidog] Possible problem with Laika

Mina Naguib webmaster at topfx.com
Dim 6 Mar 21:47:16 EST 2005

I just did a similar test too.

Unless I missed something, here is how it went:

1. Entered my homepage's URL in the address box
2. WiFiDog captured it, re-directed me to auth server
3. In there I clicked "create new account"
4. Took me to a page where I got to select a new username/password/email
- - clicked "next"
5. Took me to a page that said I now have 15 minutes to check my email
to validate my account

IMO this is misleading. At step 3 and onwards I was strictly dealing
with the auth server.  It never forwarded me to my local wifidog to
actually move me to the "Validating" stage.

After step 5 I thought everything should work, but nothing worked (I was
still anonymous)

I tried to POP/IMAP my mail but it failed.

I had to visit a web site again, which got again re-forwarded to the
login screen.  Only when I entered my new username and password did
wifidog get notified I'm now "validating" and open some more ports and
web access.

Like you've said, we perfected something technically so well that we may
have lost a bit of perspective on the user experience (especially a part
most of us rarely do anymore).

In my opinion the message shown in step #5 above is highly misleading
and I can think of 2 things to address that:

1. The message should read "Your account is created. You now need to log
in with it >>here<<.  After you log in you must check your email within
15 minutes"

or I'd prefer:

2. Upon account creation, the auth server should automatically re-direct
the user back to their wifidog as if they successfully logged-in with
their new username+password.  Wifidog will then make them "validating"
and can then re-direct them to a screen that says "You now have 15
minutes to do check your email etc.."