[isf-wifidog] WiFiDog Auth Server 1.0 feature freeze

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mar 28 Juin 17:32:27 EDT 2005

AS was announced, there was a developper meeting on the 14th.  I'm sorry I
didn't have time to report earlier on the consensus that was reached.

The major announcement is that we agreed on a set of requirements for a 1.0
release.  Aside from the tasks in the list, we will only accept bug fixes
untill the 1.0 release.  And yes, usability problems will be considered bugs.

Developement of wifidog has reached a point where we must introduce a formal
developement process.  From now on, there will be formal releases of all
software, and we will make heavy use of the bug tracker at sourceforge.  I
just spend several hours adding mostly every feature that was discussed at
ISF to the bug tracker.  Hopefully this will become a "live" roadmap, and it
is now the preferred way to request features and report bugs:

RFE:  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=102646&atid=632427
Bugs:  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=102646&atid=632424

That being said, here is the list of tasks to be completed for 1.0 release.

MySql:  Conditional on someone volunteering to be the MySql maintainer, ISF
volunteers are prepared to actaully do the work.  This will require porting
the schema upgrade code and fixing and testing all the requests.  Makes it
into 1.0 to favor adoption.
See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1229122&group_id=102646&atid=632427

SQL schema upgrade unit test.  This is an absolute requirement for maintaining
the stability of support for multiple databases on an ongoing basis. Makes 1.0
because it's required by MySql support.
See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1229133&group_id=102646&atid=632427

Port all legacy code to the new abstractions:  Made it into 1.0 because it is
essential for harmonious further developement of features, code quality.
It's essential to finish this transition for new developpers to understand
the underlying design.
See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1229317&group_id=102646&atid=632427

Make admin interface consistent and make sure they are complete.  Right now,
they are a mix of legacy code and new code, artificially spread over
different pages.  See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1229319&group_id=102646&atid=632427

Remove smarty support:  The rationale is that since we don't use it for
anything significant anymore, we should remove the dependency.  See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1229148&group_id=102646&atid=632427

Finish Network abstraction:  This made it into 1.0 because it's necessary to
build a better installer.  See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1229162&group_id=102646&atid=632427

Runtime dependency detection:  This made it into 1.0 because it's necessary to
build a better installer.  See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1229308&group_id=102646&atid=632427

Add a web based install/configuration system: This made it into 1.0 because it
was deemed essential to lower the barrier to entry for new developpers.
See http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1229310&group_id=102646&atid=632427

Things that I think must be added to 1.0 after discussion at the general
meeting:

Support a Iframe Content type.  This will allow a hotspot owner to add an
existing news section on his web site directly in his portal page, making many
complaints stop.  See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1229334&group_id=102646&atid=632427

Things that didn't make the cut for 1.0:

Go to http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=102646&atid=632427, select
Group "Post 1.0" or "Long term"

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/