[isf-wifidog] WiFiDog Roadmap, first draft

Gabe Sawhney gabe at pwd.ca
Mar 21 Juin 13:30:35 EDT 2005

There's been little discussion about Benoit's roadmap except for the
mysql support issue.  You guys had a meeting on the 14th, I think --
what was the result?

WirelessToronto's priority right now is content.  I'm happy to see
François <http://old.ilesansfil.org/wiki/Fran%c3%a7oisProulx>'
documentation on the content distribution system, but I'm still really
confused by it.  It's be particularly useful if someone who understands
it could write a "walkthrough" simply describing how to post content
(even just a chunk of html) on a portal page... I fiddled with it for a
while, with only moderate success.  If our developers here can get a
good understanding of it, we'll surely contribute towards improving the
documentation and/or interface to make it easier to use.

Other priorities for us:

- Including (average) session lengths in the reports pages.  This is an
essential stat for PR purposes.  (How is logout time determined?)

- Giving users the ability to get back to the portal page after having
left it.  My thought was to build a little app to put on
wirelesstoronto.ca which would check to see if visitors' IP address
matches with any of the last_heartbeat_ips in the nodes table -- if it
does, then include a link saying "Welcome to hotspot X! Click here for
the portal page."  Or somesuch.  It doesn't need to be 100% reliable, it
just needs to work most of the time.

- MAC address whitelisting.  (My interpretation of this: on a
hotspot-specific-basis, certain specified MAC addresses would be
identified by the router as "friendly" and automatically logged in,
without being redirected to the login or portal pages.)  It'd be ideal
if this was launched in conjunction with the previous feature, to make
it simple for these users to get to the portal page if they wanted.  I'd
like to offer this functionality essentially just to hotspot owners.

- We're considering requiring that "remote" users must log in in order
to see the portal page of a hotspot if they're not physically at that
spot.  (Are there any major reasons not to do this?  Would this be very
difficult?)

- Another angle on the above: some stuff shouldn't appear on portal
pages if you're logging in remotely.  In particular, it'd be nice if the
list of users currently logged in was only accessible locally -- it's a
bit creepy otherwise.

- It'd be nice to streamline the user signup / validation / login
process a bit (ie, automatically loggin people in once they've created
their account).  Especially to address the problem of accidental
"virtual" logins.  I have no idea how this part works yet.

Gabe