[isf-wifidog] mesh

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Mer 15 Juin 06:27:15 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:29:06AM +0200, Jkx wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:13:06 +0100
> Saul Albert <saul at twenteenthcentury.com> wrote:
>
> > 9. Repeat with the next router, making sure you set the IP address
> >    outside the range of the OLSR dhcp of the other router, and that you
> >    give this one a different (probably neighbouring) range. Again, OLSR
> >    dhcp is optional, but I always use it.
>
> That mean, a client can have 2 dhcp lease at the same time if it is
> associated with both APs.  Beside this should append really soon, this is
> an issue no ?

No, the mesh network appears as a single ssid network, even if you can
see both routers, and you associate with the routers interchangably. I Am
No A Hacker, and can't hope to explain how this works alhtough I grasp
the principle that OLSR is aware of network topology, does gateway
discovery, then tunnels to the gateway via multi-hops, which is probably
how it dodges being splashed. I really need to read more on this to
explain it, but I invite those of you with technical knowledge to bypass
my ramblings by reading docs:

- english: http://www.olsr.org/index.cgi?action=doc
- french: (how aptly named :): http://www.lillesansfil.org/:olsr

I'm speculating now, but I guess it might be possible to train watchdog
on vlan1, then use olsr's knowledge of the network topo to forward an
auth message to each node on the way to the gateway. How that works when
the network topo changes in an ad-hoccy way, I really don't know. Gah. I
should go spend 5 years reading docs.

Cheers,

Saul.