[isf-wifidog] mesh

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Mer 15 Juin 04:13:06 EDT 2005

Marios,

We have wifidog running on an OLSR mesh. It works very very nicely and is
absolutely simple to set up.

1. unwrap your two new linksys boxen

2. download the freifunk firmware from:
   -  http://212.91.225.42/sven-ola/ipkg/g/ (if your router is a 'g'
      model)
    - http://212.91.225.42/sven-ola/ipkg/gs/ (if it's a 'gs' model)
    (docs are here: http://www.freifunk.net/wiki/FreifunkFirmwareEnglish)

3. download wifidog:
http://www.ilesansfil.org/dist/wifidog/wifidog_1.0.2_mipsel.ipk

4. upgrade the firmware to freifunk, using the linksys web interface.
   When the web interface comes back, it will look like this:
   http://212.91.225.42/sven-ola/wlon/ (maybe yellow though, this is the
   wireless london version). The default admin username/pass is :
   root/admin.

5. using the Admin -> Wireless page
   (http://212.91.225.42/sven-ola/wlon/cgi-bin/wifi.html) an IP address,
   netmask, put it in ad-hoc mode and give it an ssid.

6. using the Admin -> OLSR page
   (http://212.91.225.42/sven-ola/wlon/cgi-bin/olsrd.html) give it an
   OLSR dhcp range so it will give out dhcp leases to non-olsr devices
   (not absolutely necessary, but a nice feature).

7. using the Admin -> Software page
   (http://212.91.225.42/sven-ola/wlon/cgi-bin/software.html), install
   wifidog on the router. (we have cut this step out by compiling a
   pre-configured, customised version of wifidog, which you can use if you
   want: http://map.wirelesslondon.info/docs/wifidog.html

8. Then (if you don't use our pre-configured-for-wireless-london version)
   ssh into the router (username root, password admin), and edit
   /etc/wifidog.conf to your liking.

9. Repeat with the next router, making sure you set the IP address
   outside the range of the OLSR dhcp of the other router, and that you
   give this one a different (probably neighbouring) range. Again, OLSR
   dhcp is optional, but I always use it.

10. Reboot both routers, making sure that one of them has a functional
    uplink via the WAN port.

That should work. Visit the 'status' page of one of the routers :
http://212.91.225.42/sven-ola/wlon/cgi-bin-status.html to watch them
discover each other, and share the gateway. It's really quite lovely to
see.

This seems to work fine for us. The only question, which now seems to be
a feature, is how to avoid being splashed by every node you have to hop
across on your way to the Internet.

That doesn't seem to happen. I think because wifidog is listening for
wireles clients trying to access the GatewayInterface (br0), it doesn't
catch requests passed via the the other mesh node. This has the desired
effect of not splashing on every hop, although since we haven't had to
test that situation yet, I haven't discovered whether changing the
gateway interface to vlan1 on the second router will help that situation
at all.

Hmm.. I need to think about that, and will report back with results and
findings.

Cheers,

Saul.

--