[isf-wifidog] WiFiDog Roadmap, first draft

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Jeu 9 Juin 14:59:59 EDT 2005

On June 9, 2005 09:43 am, Ian White wrote:
> Without going through the auth server code, I can't understand how the sql
> can be so complicated ? Can't a db abstraction level be used if two types
> of interface are required, or a database layer in the code which can be
> subsituted.
>
> Why is there a need for transactions and triggers etc ?

We don't use triggers (unfortunately).  However, we do use transactions,
foreign keys and foreign key constraints.  I think that demanding 15 year old
technology is a reasonnable expectation.

We limited ourselves to the MySQL 4.1 feature-set.

> As it been said before most hosters are still running php4/mysql, and it
> should be better for a slight redesign to support the average user install,
> rather than someone forking it. I already know of 1 fork to php5/mysql.

Good for them, this is open source.  Perhaps the'll have good ideas that we
can integrate.  However, for us to go backward would be self defeating.

Once again.  MySQL:  Yes, if someone steps forward to maintain it.  PHP4:  Not
as part of the mainline.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/